The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Office of Student Life is seeks an energetic and innovative Director of Student Media to direct the educational experience of student media publishing and develop UAB into a leader in college student media. Student Media reports to the Assistant Vice President for Student Life.
- This position provides overall vision, direction, and supervision for the area of Student Media, which includes editorially and artistically independent student-created content produced for conventional and digital distribution through newspaper (Kaleidoscope), literary (Aura), internet radio (BlazeRadio), multimedia (UABTV), web (UABkscope.com), and other platforms.
- The Director of Student Media has budget oversight for the area and supervises two full time staff, which includes hiring, supervision, and evaluation. This position also supervises the educational experience of approximately 50 student employees/volunteers.
- The Director of Student Media is responsible for the business operation of the unit, plans and supervises outreach of departmental services, and acts as liaison between Student Media and the Birmingham business community,
- The Director of Student Media is responsible for creating visionary innovation within the area and developing new experiences that readies and qualifies students for post-graduate employment.
- The Director of Student Media creates innovation in a collegiate media environment, builds consensus, develops relationships with academic areas, and provides experiential learning opportunities for students in related majors.
- The Director of Student Media provides leadership by promoting awareness of media law, ethics, technology, best practices, and media research studies to staff and students.
- The Director of Student Media provides service to staff and students by maintaining associated web sites for student handbook information.
- The Director of Student Media recruits, trains, leads and advises student leaders in Student Media by providing program support services, critiques/evaluation and assessment of student work activities and assisting student leaders in general media operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, English, Journalism, Communications, Higher Education or related field.
- Three years of experience as a communications/publishing/media professional in a dynamic work environment involving collaboration of business, editorial, and creative professionals. Included in the above experience should be collegiate media environment teaching and/or advising young adults.
- Knowledge of various aspects of media production including, but not limited to, news writing, photography, video design, website development, advertising and digital journalism.
- Proven effectiveness in implementing advertising sales strategies that adapt with changing environments.
- An operational understanding of office management, office security, and organizational efficiency.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in PC and Mac computers, mobile devices, Microsoft Office products, and media production software.
- Experience with newspaper printing and integration of digital media innovation within the traditional printing operation.
- An understanding and practical implementation of marketing strategies to position all operational elements for success.
- Experience with negotiating advertising and printing contracts.
- Experience in long term strategic planning.
- Involvement in professional associations and other forms of professional development.
- Strong public speaking skills.
All applicants must apply through UAB Human Resources Brass Ring website. Please visit http://www.uab.edu and click on the job opportunities link. Please use reference number BR 30217
For any questions, please feel free to contact UAB Employment at email@example.com or 205.934.4030
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression, as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.