The McClatchy Company is seeking a Mobile Storyteller to enrich the company’s storytelling on mobile devices by creating a range of differentiated experiences, from phone content for busy readers to in-depth tablet projects for deeper reads, with editorial innovations across that range.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working with local teams across the company -- newsroom mobile editors, digital producers, designers and developers, reporters and assigning editors -- to coordinate and implement new ways to serve mobile readers with existing products and technology. That work will rely on one-on-one coaching skills, facilitating group discussions, excellent communication, and comfort with light technical troubleshooting.
- Creating best practices and shared resources to improve mobile publishing across McClatchy.
- Overseeing content for new features, starting with Magnify, a tablet insert designed to infuse the company’s core news apps with finger-friendly, mobile-native experiences. Oversight will include identifying the most compelling subjects, curating and editing that content for mobile use, and working with the design team to produce immersive moments that increase “dwell time” within our apps. The work will also involve some original research and writing for select features.
- Contributing to a company-wide mobile editorial strategy, including second-screen plans that increasingly differentiate between smart phone and tablet offerings like entertainment, sports data, and political interests leading up to the 2016 election.
- Recommending company-wide key performance indicators for mobile editorial content, monitoring those metrics, and suggesting adjustments to meet growing goals.
This role is based in McClatchy’s Washington office reporting to McClatchy’s Director of Shared News Initiatives, in close coordination with the Director of Mobile Initiatives, the Mobile Creative Director, digital designers, local tablet editors, the company’s mobile product team, and McClatchy’s Washington Bureau Chief.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: Recruitingadmin@McClatchydc.com. Competitive salary and benefits and collegial working environment. EOE.