TITLE: Interactive Learning Fellow
DEPARTMENT: News University
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly
REPORTS TO: Director of Interactive Learning
OVERALL JOB RESPONSIBILITY
This is a one-year fellowship to aid in the creation of interactive learning modules for News University, the e-learning project at The Poynter Institute for Media Studies.
- Collaborates and takes direction from Interactive Learning Producers to assist in the creation of instructional packages for Poynter’s News University e-learning project.
- Under the direction of Producers or Interactive Faculty, designs look and feel of educational projects, from individual modules to entire courses.
- Works with instructors to facilitate semi-synchronous courses, including: managing the student application and enrollment process; responding to technical difficulties; monitoring chat sessions and discussion forums.
- Integrates custom e-learning materials with Drupal, NewsU’s LMS solution.
- Programs interactive elements of educational projects such as navigation, site structure, and simulations.
- Collects and edits instructional digital content.
- Works on a one-year project from conception to completion.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Interactive Learning Director. Is responsible for conducting daily and long-term assignments under general direction. Must be able to work independently and collaborate with others.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
INTERNAL: Interaction with Interactive Learning staff to collaborate on instructional packages for News University; interaction with Poynter faculty and staff as needed for their instructional packages.
EXTERNAL: Maintains cooperative relationships with subject matter experts for instructional packages.
PROBLEM SOLVING/DECISION MAKING: Highly organized to effectively coordinate and complete multiple projects.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Primarily sedentary, as bulk of tasks is performed at a computer workstation. Physical requirements include ability to see and color perception in order to proofread, edit on paper and onscreen, and create and view graphics. Requires the ability to manipulate fingers to operate computer keyboard and mouse. Incumbent will be expected to work under and meet precise deadlines. Routine interruptions and unforeseen assignments are to be expected. This position calls for frequent lifting of up to 10 lbs.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Duties are performed in a temperature controlled, non-smoking office environment. The workstation is unobstructed and incumbent can expect moderate noise levels from general office activity. Workstation is ergonomically evaluated for incumbent and modifications are made based on outcome. On occasion, incumbent may be required to travel on behalf of the Institute.
OTHER INFORMATION: The Interactive Learning Fellow will generally work a five-day schedule, defined as Monday through and including Friday. The NewsU Fellow will generally work between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., during the Institute's normal business hours. The workdays will vary from time to time depending on the workload. The employee is eligible for one hour (unpaid) for lunch and two 15-minute (paid) breaks each day. This position may require some overtime.
No phone calls, please. EOE.
Send cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. Deadline to apply is October 1, 2014.